I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Thursday, December 22, 2011

My Christmas List to the Golfing Santa

While I will keep the list I’m writing Santa for my specific golf game to myself, I will share the spectator’s version of my list with you. 
Here are the 5 things on my golf watching Christmas list.
1.       I want to see Tiger become a force again.  We were spoiled for about a decade with watching arguably the greatest golfer of all time cause fields to wither in his presence.  I don’t know if that will ever return, but I would like to see him win Doral or Bay Hill leading up to the Masters.  I think every golf fan was glued to the television for the back 9 of the 2011 Masters and everyone remember Rory’s collapse, but no one talks about Tiger surging into contention after a brilliant front 9.  If Tiger could win 3 tournaments including 1 Major (most likely Augusta or The Open) think of how much more interesting golf is this time next year.
2.       I want it to become clear which of the 20 something’s or even early 30 something’s are going to carry the torch from guys like Steve Stricker and Jim Furyk and Phil Mickelson.   There are a lot of guys are consistent and can win any given week, but none of them win consistently enough.  Matt Kuchar’s a Top 10 king, but doesn’t win that much.  Will Webb Simpson be one of those guys?  Can Rickie Fowler?  Nick Watney and his twin Bill Haas?  Lucas Glover has a U.S. Open and his Clemson teammate Jonathan Byrd has 5 wins…..either of them?  Dustin Johnson?  The point is, there are a ton of guys who “could”, but I want to see a couple of them start to really put Hall of Fame resume numbers up.
3.       I want to see Rory stare Tiger down when it matters.  Rory’s the closest thing to Tiger Woods, not Donald or Ishikawa or Simpson.  Rory’s got the flare, the youth, the swing and he’s got that IT factor.  I want to watch the torch passed.  How cool would it be for the last pairing on Sunday at Augusta to start “Fore please, on the tee Tiger Woods……Rory McIlroy.”  Rory could release his 2011 scar tissue and he and Woods could battle it out for which generation in on top.
4.       I want to see Jonathan Byrd win a Major and make the Ryder Cup.  This is personal.  I’ve met JByrd once and what a nice guy he is.  A true gentleman.  I would love to see him take the PGA at the Ocean Course in his former home state and make the Ryder Cup.  He’s good enough if he just believes it.
5.       Another personal one, but I want to see my buddy Matt Hendrix win on the Nationwide Tour and finish inside “The 25.”  He’s a former Clemson All American and a former Walker Cupper who had a one year stint on the PGA Tour about 5 years ago with about the worst reshuffle number you could have out the gate.  He’s plenty long, the putter seems to be steady and all he’s missing is a consistent iron game.  Our Sunday School Christmas party would get even livelier than it already is if we were celebrating that next December!
So, see what you can do for me Santa.  I’ll try to be good all year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment