Here are some notes at the half-way point:
- The cut-line came at +1, and was virtually locked in at that number all day. This is a relatively low cut-line number for this event.
- "The Bear Trap" seems to have lost a little of it's bit this week with 15, 16 and 17 ranking the 7th, 13th and 4th most difficult holes respectively.
- It's a little surprising to see Dickey Pride's name pop up on the first page of the leaderboard. It will be interesting to see if he can continue the trend of under-par golf being pared with McIlroy in the third round. It would be a nice story if he could.
- Two Monday Qualifiers are making the best of their efforts with Vaughn Taylor T5 and Scott Langley T31.
- I would be remiss not to mention Brian Harmon's course record 61 that vaulted him up the leaderboard 102 spots to a tie for 5th. The rookie has only missed one cut this year and has a respectable T20 at Pebble Beach and T26 last week at Mayakoba on his resume.
- Tiger Woods is seven off the lead at 1-under. He struck the ball beautifully in the first round but couldn't buy a putt. In the second round his ball striking wasn't as pure, but he scored better. He could be a candidate of someone who could shoot a 65 or 66 in the third round and sit around to see if the leaders fall back a little.