Here are some thoughts headed into the weekend:
- I like Mahan where he is. He'll have a tough task on his hands to hold onto the lead, but a final-round 61 at the Travelers and a 65 on Friday afternoon at Congressional with a 70 sandwiched between feels strong to me. He's the man to beat.
- Bo Van Pelt did as we predicted and backed up. The first round leader is now five off the lead after a second-round 73.
- Sliding Pat Perez in for Davis Love III was rewarded in the Yahoo! game, as he fired his second 69 of the week to move to 4-under and T5, while DL3 retreated.
- Robert Garrigus is in a group two back and tied for second. You will remember that he's in the Golf Channel lineup this week and a member of the Dandy Dozen.
- In all, 10 of the Dandy Dozen made the 36-hole cut with Lucas Glover falling a stroke short and K.J. Choi bombing out with a bad week. Glover fired an afternoon 69 on Friday and played the back nine in 32, but it wasn't enough to erase a bad Thursday morning round.
- Tiger Woods will be worth keeping an eye on tomorrow (T11). He was sitting pretty headed into the weekend at the U.S. Open before falling apart, but he's been much more proficient in non majors. It's likely he'll at least notch a top 10.
- For those curious, I'm leaving the Yahoo! lineup of Furyk, Mahan, Woods and Perez alone.