I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Masters Recap

Adam Scott slipped on the green jacket, marking the first time any Australian won the Masters and his first major championship. It turns out, he didn't have to wait long to get over the sting of blowing the Open Championship last July. In truth, his play in majors the last two seasons has led up to this.

Here are some thoughts from the Masters:
  • Scott struggled with the putter all day, only taking advantage of par 5s until he dropped a bomb on 18 and then nailed a mid-ranger on the second playoff hole for the win.
  • Stevie Williams helped his guy to a green jacket before his old boss won one.
  • Angel Cabrera will probably be like Freddie Couples at the Masters. His length will allow him to contend here for another decade, and his course history is proving formidable. 
  • Before he hit the shot, I said out loud "What are you thinking!" If you're not sure what I'm talking about, think back to Cabrera going for 13 in two from the pine straw. If he pitches out, it's a wedge on in three and an easy par with a birdie possibility.
  • On that note, I don't know how his putt at 17 missed, his first chip in the playoff missed and his putt on the 10th in the playoff missed. There must have been some screams from Down Under shaking the Augusta greens and leaving those balls out of the cups. 
  • Jason Day will win a green jacket one day. He had this one locked up when he stood on 16 tee, but a poor tee shot on 16 and a bad iron on 17 cost him the win. He did not look nervous and nearly birdied 18 when it looked like that would have been good enough for a playoff.
  • I'm glad I burned my Tiger one-and-done at Bay Hill.
  • Snedeker choked. I like the guy and hate to say it, but that's the truth. Of those in the final three pairing, he's the only one that really looked nervy.
  • Thorbjorn Olesen is the European Rickie Fowler. I like his game and his flair, but I'm not ready to call  him the next Rory McIlroy. He'll win a major one day.
  • Westwood, Garcia and Kuchar do what they do. Rack up low top 10s in majors.
And that's a wrap.

We'll be back tomorrow to talk Harbour Town.

1 comment:

  1. It's always inspiring to see these players in action. I'm working on my putting game myself, and ball targets from http://shop.annestone.com/collections/putt-a-round have been most helpful.

    ReplyDelete