I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Valero Texas Open - Final Update

Hours before tees are in the ground at TPC San Antonio for the Valero Texas Open, it's time for the final adjustments and the declaration of this week's one-and-done and two-and-done selections.

One early matter of business, I gathered from a tweet from Ian Poulter today that his first look at TPC San Antonio came at the Wednesday Pro-Am. The bad news about that, is the Pro-Am was called off with him only playing 10 holes. That meant that he had to go back out and view the nine he didn't play after the storm cleared, but never actually played them.

Because of that, I'm making lineup adjustments in the Yahoo! and Golf Channel formats. Charl Schwartzel will take his place on the Yahoo C-List bench, and I'm rolling the dice with Rory McIlroy in the Golf Channel Group 1. Conventional wisdom may be to take Kuchar in the Golf Channel game, but I'm a little further back than I'd like to be and am choosing to go against the grain and swing for the fences realizing the risk.

For my one-and-done, I had about the hardest time I've had all season picking between two players. I narrowed it down to Matt Kuchar and Cameron Tringale, and decided to play it relatively safe and take Kuchar. Kuch is a higher-class player than Tringale, but Tringale has a better course record and is running pretty hot right now. The biggest factor for me was my current standing in my one-and-done game (third and in the money). The worst thing I could do would be to miss the cut, and there's virtually no chance that happens with Kuchar. It's not likely it happens to Tringale, but it could.

For my two-and-done, AKA my hedge game, I'm taking Brendan Steele. This is a stubborn selection where I'm making good on a promise to myself last year to play Steele no matter what in this tournament.

There you have it.

Best of luck to all, and may you escape this tricky week unscathed!

No comments:

Post a Comment