- I say "surprise" leaders, but tip of the cap to my Rotoworld colleague and our fellow competitor in our PGA TOUR game Rob Bolton, who listed Bettencourt as a sleeper pick on PGATOUR.com this week http://www.pgatour.com/sleeper-picks/2013/04/valero-texas-open.html.
- It's about to not matter where Billy Horschel (-4) is playing....he's just hot right now.
- Padraig Harrington (-4) may be showing up just in time for the Masters. Guys like that always seem to know how to prepare themselves to peak at the right time.
- Probably the biggest surprises of the first round were who didn't play well. I think Cameron Tringale was on everyone's short list, and he shot a 5-over. Matt Kuchar was considered the cream of the crop and posted a weak 2-over. Both of those guys played in the morning and that wave seemed to have more trouble than the afternoon wave. The split was over 1.5 strokes.
- Freddie Jacobson came through with a 2-under, and I would maintain he may be the most dangerous guy in this field right now.
- Speaking of guys that played in the morning, Brendan Steele was in that group and shot a respectable even par.
- It's hard to imagine that the morning wave will again play over a stroke more difficult than the afternoon wave on Friday, but we'll see. Put me down as thinking the right wave would be the Thursday AM/Friday PM wave. Unless things correct themselves tomorrow; boy was I wrong.
Things didn't go as scripted in the first round, but I guess that's why they play the game. I don't have much conviction with my Yahoo! lineup for tomorrow, but I'm going Chappell, Jacobson, C. Hoffman and Steele.
Best of luck!