I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Zurich Classic of New Orleans - Round 1

A track meet broke out in the opening round of the Zurich Classic of New Orleans with Ricky Barnes tying the course record with an 8-under-par 64 to lead by one over Lucas Glover and Boo Weekly. Here are a few thoughts:

  • With the exception of Barnes, the afternoon tee times enjoyed the lower scores. While I normally try and even out my Yahoo! lineup with AM/PM splits, I didn't this week because I felt like I would be reaching. It worked out to my advantage. The lesson is not to reach for a player you aren't comfortable with just to fit a tee time.
  • Barnes and Glover are perfect examples of good owns in season-long formats. Glover hasn't made a putt in six weeks, but the key to his round today was a seven-foot bogey save on the par-4 sixth and and equally long par save on the par-5 seventh (he started on the back nine). He then birdied his last two holes. The weeks when guys like Barnes and Glover putt well are hard to peg, but when they do they can each contend.
  • Everything points to another day of low scoring tomorrow, but the course should at least play a little firmer and faster. If it does, it likely means an advantage for the Thursday late/Friday early players.
  • In Yahoo!, I'm keeping Dufner and Rose in the lineup and adding Jimmy Walker for Hoffman and Rickie Fowler for Billy Horschel. Fowler and Horschel are both in the same wave and both 5-under, so I want to make sure to play both so I can get any potential bonus points later.

Settle in for more red numbers on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment