I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial - One-and-done

After sifting through the options, making up my mind, changing my mind and once again making up my mind, it's time to talk one-and-done for the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial.

There's not that option out there that screams "safe pick" or sure-fire top 20. There are a handful of guys that seem to have a realistic shot at posting a big week.

I narrowed my focus to Zach Johnson, Chris Kirk, Harris English, Kevin Streelman and Charl Schwartzel (only available in two-and-done). I could easily have gone with any of these.

ZJ showed signs of snapping out of a season-long slump two starts ago at Quail Hollow with good rounds. He then posted his best full-field event at THE PLAYERS in his last start (T19). His trend and my gut lead me to believe that he's going to have his best week of the year this week, but there's enough doubt in my mind that I'm holding off on him.

This may be a mistake of Billy Horschel proportions, but I keep thinking I've missed my window on Streelman. That's the only reason I can try and relay that I'm passing on Streelman. Well, that and my man Mike Glasscott took him in his Rotoworld preview and we operate under the assumption that his selections are sometimes cursed.

I came very close to pulling the trigger on Schwartzel in the two-and-done. I've burned him in Golf Channel and Yahoo! formats, but with ZERO course history it was a little too much of a gamble.

I'm using Chris Kirk in my two-and-done. His form is very good and his record has trended better every trip to Colonial culminating with a T5 last year. When I took my first glance at this tournament a little over a week ago Kirk jumped off the page. I knew I had to use him in one of my formats and this was it.

For my one-and-done, I'm taking Harris English. Since I took a shot at Glass in the Streelman portion, I'll credit his preview's mention of Jimmy Johnson being back on English's bag this week for the first time since a T6 in New Orleans coupled with Johnson winning at Colonial with Stricker in '09 as part of the reason why. The other part is his form and that he tied for fifth in  his only trip here last year. (If Glass' weekly article isn't part of your regular research http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/gol/43294/297/hogans-heroes, it's worth a look.)

Best of luck!

2 comments:

  1. Are you making any changes to the yahoo game ? I see that you are taking Harris English as your one and done, but I don't believe he is in your yahoo lineup .............
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice observation. English is in the C-List with Schwartzel and Streelman and I consider the margin between those three razor thin. I'm a hedger at heart, so I'm leaving it as is.

      Delete