- I mentioned yesterday that I wouldn't be surprised if Rory McIlroy won or one of the many alternates. Turns out, McIlroy is a co-leader at 5-under on a leaderboard that features a Monday qualifier (Nate Smith) with no TOUR status and TOUR rookie Derek Ernst. Others in the lead are Nick Watney, Robert Garrigus, Ryan Moore and Daniel Summerhays.
- It was one of those days where the Yahoo! bench was much better than the starting lineup. Needless to say, McIlroy will start over Bill Haas while Lucas Glover (-4) will sub in for Webb Simpson alongside Nick Watney and Lee Westwood will sub in for Rickie Fowler.
- As expected, some greens looked better than others. Down the stretch, 16 struck me as as pretty bad along with the par-3 13th.
- When writing about Bill Haas as my one-and-done selection yesterday I mentioned the need for him to play the par 5s better than he has this year. He rewarded my confidence with a bogey on the par-5 10th to start his round, another bogey on the par-5 fifth and took the cake with a 9 on the par-5 seventh. He played the par 5s in 6-over and the other 14 holes in 1-over. Great!
- The McIlroy pick in the two-and-done looks nice. He looked very comfortable and in control.
- The final Saturday paring in New Orleans (Lucas Glover and Boo Weekley) are a shot back after round one. Phil Mickelson is among those that join them.
That's it for today!