- Kuchar playing well is not a surprise, but this is a big-time leaderboard for Kyle Stanley to be popping up on. I was looking back at his season stats by event, and since the Zurich Classic his SGP stat has gotten much better. I'd love to know what clicked, but instead of losing two to three strokes per round with the putter, he's actually been breaking even or gaining. That's around a 10-stroke swing per tournament from where he was in January.
- For those that haven't caught on to this yet, Kevin Chappell plays hard courses well. While Merion doesn't seem to be a perfect fit, he can certainly show up when the conditions are tough and par has some value.
- Bill Haas is backing up on the weekend. He only managed one birdie in the third round and it was a little six-footer on the par-5 11th. He was in good company, as Charl Schwartzel went from leading to a back-nine 41 in a hurry.
- Speaking of guys that had a little trouble on Muirfield Village's back nine, Tiger Woods' 44 was the worst nine of his PGA TOUR career. I mentioned on Twitter today that someone needs to check and make sure his girlfriend didn't dump him after the first round. Other theories involve him wanting to bet on himself at Merion, but preferring a little longer odds. Might also be worth checking to make sure all fire hydrants in the greater Dublin (OH) area are standing. Nothing else makes sense as to why he'd have this bad of a week after winning THE PLAYERS.
- Yahoo! lineup. I'm keeping Woods in. After all, it's not like McIlroy's doing any better. Joining Tiger will be Justin Rose, Matt Kuchar and Adam Scott.
- My one-and-done pick for the week, Jim Furyk, went from 5-over through his first 10 holes and looking like it was going to be a trunk slam to T14 with 18 to play. I'll take it.What's ironic is that he made a birdie putt and two par putts outside 11 feet today, but missed three birdies inside nine feet.
Is anyone else thinking "let's see how Kuchar's going to lose this tomorrow?" I don't know why, but I just have that feeling. Justin Rose could be the one lurking that's the biggest threat (T4 and three back).