I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

U.S. Open - One-and-Done and Weather

The 2013 U.S. Open is scheduled to begin in about 10 hours, but everyone's eyes are on the weather. Without a doubt, the top question I've received today is, "Which wave will benefit more from the weather?"

Let's start with the forecast. Weather.com's most recent update for Thursday shows a 60% chance of thunderstorms from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m., dropping to 50% at 11 a.m. and progressively down to 30% until the really severe weather is predicted to arrive between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. It is then basically no less than a 70% chance of rain from 5 p.m. Thursday until 5 a.m. Friday morning.

Overall Friday looks better, but there is a possibility that it will take some time to get the course ready to play depending on how much rain falls on Merion on Thursday evening/Friday morning.

I'm not sure there will be a preferred draw, but if there is I'm leaning towards the late/early. It's quite possible that they won't even set foot on the course Thursday, and I don't like the idea of the Thursday morning wave possibly waiting through delays from the first moment on.

My Yahoo! starters are all late wavers, featuring GMac, Westwood, Donald and Webb Simpson.

For my one-and-done, I'm taking a guy I've had in mind for this tournament since his win at the RBC Heritage. That is, of course, Graeme McDowell.

My two-and-done is Lee Westwood. I considered Adam Scott here, but ultimately feel like Westy might have a little bigger week.

Both McDowell and Westwood are in the late/early draw, but that had very little (if any) to do with my selections.

Best of luck and lets cross our fingers for a good bit of golf tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment