I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

U.S. Open - Round 1

Well, we got to see more golf on the first day of the U.S. Open than we ever could have anticipated. I happened to listen to Matt Adams on PGA TOUR radio on my morning commute and from the sound of things at 7 a.m., it was assumed we would get about four to five hours of golf in the books and might see someone actually post a score.

To get one thing out of the way early, I'm sticking with my original Yahoo! lineup of Donald, Westwood, Simpson and McDowell. While I'm not sure that it will be an advantage or disadvantage for them to play more than 18 holes on Friday, I do believe the course will continue to play tougher as the week wears on. By Saturday morning, when I expect the second round to conclude, it could be playing pretty firm and fast. If that happens, the late/early wins the draw.

I was surprised by:

  • Nicolas Colsaerts (69) - He was a miss on all of my statistical categories. Given he hung around for a while at the 2012 U.S. Open at Olympic, it's possible his issue has more to do with focus in regular events and he dials it in for the majors.
  • Graeme McDowell's slow start. He rebounded to birdie nine and 10 to get it to 1-over, but then doubled 11 and is 3-over with six to play. He also doubled the par-5 second. 
  • The amount of golf that was played.
That's really it. I'll never be surprised by Phil Mickelson. He could shoot a 59 or a 79 tomorrow and I would not be phased. 

I'm interested to see:
  • While I'm neither a Phil fan or hater, I'm extremely interested to see what he does in the second round. 
  • Could this be Luke Donald's time? He's been relatively terrible in majors, but he's off and running in this one. 
  • Lee Westwood caught Mickelson briefly, then fell back to 1-under. One of the usual bridesmaids could actually be the bride this year. 
Let's hope for clear skies and entertaining golf on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment