I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Greenbrier Classic - One-and-Done

Hours before the first tee balls are in the air, it's time to lock in the final picks for The Greenbrier Classic. Rain at The Old White TPC will render it a bit longer, favoring bombers the first two rounds. Given then history of lengthy players like Scott Stallings and Charlie Beljan, this isn't necessarily a major strategy change.

For my one-and-done, I've gone back and forth and back and forth and back again. Yesterday I was leaning towards David Hearn, but I worry he doesn't have the length and his par-5 history isn't that great. Of course, there are only two of them but they need to be birdie holes. This morning I thought it might be Jason Kokrak, but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger. He missed the cut here last year, but shot a second-round 2-under-par. About an hour ago, it dawned on me that Kyle Stanley might be the guy. He's lengthy and he'd been trending up, but putted particularly poorly in his last start at TPC River Highlands. History shows he always putts poorly their though.

Then I doubled back and looked at Gary Woodland. That's when I decided to lock in. He tied for fourth here in 2011 and that was at a time when he was rolling off top-25 finishes like it was nothing. Minus a W/D at the Travelers, he's posted top 20s in his last three starts and gained strokes with the putter. I'm sold.

For my two-and-done, I have a Webb Simpson play and I'm using it.

Yahoo! Starters first round will be early wavers. I'm expecting lift/clean/place and, while there may be rain early, there is a chance for delays with lightening in the afternoon.

Going with Brian Davis, Graham DeLaet, Webb Simpson and Roberto Castro.

Best of luck this crazy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment