I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Greenbrier Classic - Round 1

As expected, the unexpected happened in the first round of The Greenbrier Classic. Tommy Gainey and Johnson Wagner share the lead at 8-under-par, two clear of Webb Simpson and Jin Park.

Here are a few thoughts:

  • This is a Tommy Gainey kind of tournament. By that, I mean a course where guys can get hot and go really low absent of otherwise solid current form. He's a feel player and now he has confidence. If you heard his interview on Golf Channel during the telecast, he mentioned having a new driver and finding more fairways this week. He also said that if he was in the fairway, he knew he could score. While I wouldn't have predicted Gainey at the start of the week, I'm not surprised by this.
  • I am surprised by Johnson Wagner. This makes no sense. Same with Park (T3)
  • Webb Simpson his doing well for all of those going chalk.
  • Phil Mickelson is just showing up at The Greenbrier. His 74 (4-over) today proves that. He's about to go 0/3 in making the cut here and will get an early start to the Scottish Open.
  • Yahoo! starters in the morning wave fared decently well. For me, all but one of my morning wavers behaved better than their afternoon counter options, and that one just cost me 2 points. I'm switching three of my four for round two. Going with B. Watson, W. Simpson, S. Stallings and B. Horschel. 
Best of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment