I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wyndham Championship - One-and-done

We've reached the time of year at the Wyndham Championship when player availability for the one-and-done format can be problematic. Case in point, there are four players I really like this week. The "chalk" I guess you would say. They are the top four from yesterday's power rankings and I consider the separation between Bill Haas, Zach Johnson, Brandt Snedeker and Webb Simpson to be small. I could easily live with any of them as a OAD this week.

You know where this is going.

I don't find any of the options after that to be particularly appealing. I could go with Hideki Matsuyama or Martin Kaymer as high-ranking players, but I don't have a feel for their course fit. I could go with Carl Pettersson as a course horse, but have you seen his form? David Toms is tempting, but I have a hard time seeing him do any better than a low top 10, and I'd like a guy with a shot at winning. Bud Cauley has a ton to play for, which could be good or bad. Roberto Castro is hot. The list goes on.

So I settled, and I mean settled, on Sergio Garcia as my OAD. I don't particularly like his record in title defenses (zero top 10s) and he doesn't have a top 10 on TOUR since his spat with Tiger Woods. I can think of plenty of reasons not to play Sergio, but the truth is that he's finished fourth and first in his two trips to Sedgefield and I need a top five badly this week.

In my two-and-done, I"m using Webb Simpson. I'm banking on last year's fade being due to his title defense, and with the spotlight not quite as brightly on him he should be a solid play.

For my Yahoo! starters, I'm going with the strongest players and ignoring the weather. I believe it was the WGC-Bridgestone where I played the same four all week, and that could be the case again this week. Haas, Z. Johnson, Simpson and Kaymer get the call.

Best of luck this wee!

No comments:

Post a Comment