As always, some combination of course history and current form drop into the melting pot in an effort to produce the magic formula.
Here we go:
- Jim Furyk - The 2010 FedExCup champion returns to East Lake on the heels of a solo third at the BMW Championship. That was his second top 10 of the 2013 Playoffs, and his impeccable record at East Lake includes two seconds and a third to go with his 2010 win.
- Hunter Mahan - The 2011 TOUR Championship loser in a playoff to Bill Haas is riding a strong trend into East Lake. A T25 at The Barclays led to a T13 at the Deutsche Bank and a T4 at the BMW last week. In his previous six TOUR Championship starts, he has three top 10s.
- Luke Donald - Classic case of converging trends. He earned his berth into the field this week off a T4 at his home course of Conway Farms and has finished inside the top three at East Lake each of the last three years.
- Tiger Woods - Undeniable record in the TOUR Championship with a pair of wins to go with four seconds. Flirted with contending at Conway Farms last week, but now hasn't won since the WGC-Bridgestone.
- Phil Mickelson - Lefty has two wins and a third here in 16 starts. He's been a little off the last few weeks, with a T41 and a T33 in his last two starts, but that's part of what makes him intriguing this week.
- Brandt Snedeker - Had a great round to start off his week at Conway Farms, but faded over the weekend. He's the defending champ, which leads me to fade him slightly. In his three previous starts at East Lake he's improved steadily each time from a T29 to T16 to Win.
- Adam Scott - Similar to Mickelson, the Aussie's faded a bit since his win at The Barclays to kick off the Playoffs, but returns to the friendly confines of East Lake. He has a win and three top 10s in seven starts.
- Zach Johnson - The chances of him going back-to-back are pretty slim, but if you look at his record since the John Deere Classic, his form rivals that of Henrik Stenson. In six starts, he has two top 10s with a T2 in 2007 the best East Lake finish. It bears mentioning that he needed a course-record 60 to pull off that T2.
- Steve Stricker - In nine TOUR Championships, he has three top 10s with a third in 1996 his best. Recent form is exceptional, with a runner-up at TPC Boston and a T4 at Conway Farms. Seeing that he canceled his hunting trip to appear at East Lake, he'll do everything he can to make it worth his while.
- Matt Kuchar - Making his fourth start at East lake, Kuchar notched a T10 for his best finish here last year. His form has been steady, but not spectacular of late, with a T19 and a T24 surrounding a T4 at TPC Boston.
- Jason Day - The Aussie is still in search for his first win of the season, and he has a T17 and a T6 in his first two stops at East Lake. A T4 at Conway Farms last week is a solid testament of his current form.
- Henrik Stenson - Perhaps I should have learned my lesson on fading him due to a lack of course history, but I'm doing it again. A T44 and a T33 surrounded his win at the Deutsche Bank Championship.
We will return tomorrow for our weekly look at the usual lineup of fantasy games. Until then, best of luck to all!