I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

U.S. Presidents Cup thoughts

I put out a tweet earlier this evening in which I stated that I would peg Jordan Spieth and Webb Simpson with captain picks for the Presidents Cup were I the captain. I further said that Dustin Johnson and Jim Furyk would have been the next to closely behind.

Since the BMW Championship doesn't start until next week, I thought I'd fill a little space with some Presidents Cup chatter.

First let me say that if I'm Tom Watson, I'm praying Fred Couples selects Jordan Spieth and Billy Horschel. With the U.S. team the overwhelming favorite at Muirfield Village in a few weeks, it would be a nice tryout to see how the two fared in the heat of team battle. That said, I don't think there's any way Horschel's form allows for that risk.

So the real contenders:


  • Jordan Spieth - There's no way he can be passed over. There are enough veterans with the likes of Woods, Mickelson and Stricker to where veterans aren't a must pick.
  • Webb Simpson - Very narrowly missed out on making the team on merit and would be a good partner with a number of players. Again, I like youth over experience with the picks due to the makeup of the team, so he'd be my guy. 
  • Dustin Johnson - I would not at all be surprised if Couples took DJ. He's always seemed to like him and his power could come in handy. He just hasn't been predictable or consistent enough for my liking.
  • Jim Furyk - This one drew some response on Twitter. Six weeks ago he wasn't in the conversation, and his Ryder Cup effort in 2012 was as pathetic as his ability to blow tournaments down the stretch. But. He's shown some form of late and has a nice history at Muirfield Village. If I needed a veteran, I'd take him. I also think he's got something to prove after last year's Ryder Cup. I consider the possibility of him being selected a long shot, and it would also be a slight to Spieth and Simpson if it happened, but it's at least worth a passing thought.
So to recap.....

If I'm Tom Watson, I'm pulling for Spieth / Horschel.
If I'm the captain, it's Spieth / Simpson.

But I think Couples may go Spieth / DJ.


No comments:

Post a Comment