I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Frys.com Open - Fantasy

As most of you have probably noticed, it doesn't appear that the Yahoo! game is ready to roll for the Frys.com Open and the start of the PGA TOUR season. Not sure if that was a strategic break, or something that fell through the cracks. I have no insider knowledge on that subject, but would bet that all of their focus right now is on football and kicking off basketball.

As always, feel free to check out my GolfChannel picks at Rotoworld in Glass' weekly article http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/gol/44659/297/turn-and-burn?pg=3.

I'm not ready to nab a one-and-done quite yet, but I'll give you my short list and the reasoning behind them.
  • Gary Woodland - Probably the clubhouse leader at this point, as there isn't a better spot to use him that jumps to mind and his history and form seem to be in check. I need to dive deeper into his putting before I'm ready to pull the trigger.
  • Jimmy Walker - I would consider him to be on the higher side of class in a weak field, and his T4 and final-round 62 here last year are reason to pay attention. Long off the tee and a solid putter.
  • Chesson Hadley - It's hard to know if and where to plug a rookie in, but his length (17th on Web.com in driving distance) and putting ability (4th in putting average) make this an intriguing fit. 
  • Jason Kokrak - Distance has been rewarded here, which is his calling card, and his T2 last year at this tournament makes him an intriguing option.
  • Hideki Matsuyama - Could be a trendy pick this week, but there's not much evidence to support course fit or how he'll rebound from a Presidents Cup loss where he was decent, but not great.
  • Jamie Lovemark - A legit dark horse, and one I've almost talked myself into already this week, he ranked inside the top 10 in both distance and putting on the Web.com last year and tied for 30th here in 2010. 
I'm not convinced that Billy Horschel isn't the favorite to win this week, but he's shown to be a safer call coming off a top 10 the immediate week before. His only win came after a T9 the week prior and tied for fourth at the U.S. Open after a T9 in Memphis and tied for third at the Valero Texas Open after a T2 at the Shell Houston Open. In short, I'll wait and buy until he posts a top 10 and then I'll jump on the bandwagon quickly. 

John Peterson is very hot as well, but he's been hot for a while on the Web.com Tour. That tells me two things. First, he will likely have a stretch of two or three consecutive top 10s sometime this year so I'll wait and buy the week after a top 10 much like Horschel. Second, it's possible that he may have already peaked and could head back to earth this week. 

Either way, I'll let you know the verdict tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Bluehost is ultimately one of the best web-hosting company for any hosting services you might need.

    ReplyDelete