I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

OHL Classic at Mayakoba - Fantasy

With the OHL Classic at Mayakoba inching closer, let's take a look at the usual games and options.

For my Golf Channel picks, check out Glass' weekly article at Rotoworld http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/gol/45351/297/beach-boys?pg=3. You know it's early in the season because me and Glass are up on Rob and Ned, and that can't be right!

As much as I struggle to embrace the Yahoo! golf format, I do miss the debate that comes with selecting a team and plugging in starters for the early rounds. That leaves the remainder of our focus on the one-and-done.

Perhaps the fortunate thing about this week, is that there shouldn't be any consideration given to saving players. With a relatively weak field, grab hold of the best option and run with them.

I've narrowed my short list to six players, but will also hit on two notable absences. I'm holding off on Matt Every and Briny Baird. As I mentioned yesterday, Every has a poor track record of following up top 10s. As for Baird, I have a hard time believing that he can be in the thick of contention two weeks in-a-row despite a very nice course fit. If he does, then I'll tip my cap and take my medicine.

That leaves these guys:

  • Brian Gay - Great option. My fear is a bit illogical, and that rests on how often the "obvious" pick fails to come through. In part, that could be because they realize they are suppose to perform well and all eyes are on them. Regardless of whether I go with Gay or not, I'll never try and talk you out of him here.
  • Kevin Stadler - Of all the golfers on the short list, he's the one I plan to research the most over the next 24 hours. He tends to run hot, so I'll look more closely at his play coming off of top 10s. I'll also go back and give a close look at how he's putted at this event over the years. My gut is telling me to take him, but I can't count how many times I've switched from Tuesday to Wednesday.
  • Daniel Summerhays - Good young player pining for a breakthrough win on a course where his history is good and his form entering the week is solid. What else can you ask for?
  • Tim Clark - He's the only guy I'm considering that lacks any course history, but his week at The McGladrey Classic last week in a similar circumstance has me licking my chops. His driving accuracy and GIR splits were awesome at the Seaside Course, so form is excellent.
  • J.J. Henry - Part of me can't believe I'm even considering this, but his history in this event and his stat sheet demand a hard second look.
  • Chris Stroud - He was eighth on my power rankings and he's growing on me fast. Course history and recent form are good, especially when you consider his T3 a few weeks ago at the CIMB Classic occurred on paspalum grass which is the rare strand that is also in play this week. The other stops the utilize it are Puerto Rico and the PGA Championship at Kiawah in 2012. It's frequent in wet climates and somewhat tropical climates. 

We'll be back tomorrow with a final decision on the OAD, as well as to tie up any loose ends. Until then, best of luck!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post : " OHL Classic at Mayakoba - Fantasy ", very important discussion indeed. Thanks a lot -
    Send DHL online

    ReplyDelete