I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The McGladrey Classic - Fantasy

It's shaping up to be a wild week in fantasy land at The McGladrey Classic, with the debate of chalk versus risk a healthy one.

As is always the case, you can find my Golf Channel picks in Glass' weekly Rotoworld article http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/gol/45040/297/simon-says-make-birdies?pg=3.

One factor that always turns into a tough one to put a value on is weather. With the Seaside Course at Sea Island located just off the pond, wind can be a true factor.

If you follow me on Twitter (@RyanGolfBlogger), you probably saw a stream of Tweets from Johnny Mac regarding the weather and the potential impact that I retweeted. For those that follow me closely, you know that I hold JMac in the highest regard.

His source tells him that the current wind would tend to favor longer players, thus likely taking a premium away from scrambling at towards ball striking. Do with that information what you will. I'm not yet convinced that the winds will be high enough throughout the week to make a real difference, but I've also learned that JMac is one of the best and this should, at the very least, be considered.

As for the one-and-done, we are left with two schools of thought.

The first, and a really tempting one, is to take Webb Simpson as the class of a weak field in an event that has a better purse than in years past and trust that the cream rises.

While there are a number of risks associated with this, perhaps the biggest is that the cream never really rises on Sea Island. Heath Slocum, Ben Crane and Tommy Gainey are hardly the class of any field. Crane is at least in the upper echelon in some circumstances, but Slocum and Gainey have each struggled with keeping their cards in the not too distant past.

It's also not ideal that Simpson won in his last start, and it's rare for anyone not named Tiger or Phil to win in back-to-back starts. But, at least he's safe. It's hard to see him finishing outside the top 20 and a top 10 seems entirely likely.

The other school of thought is to play a risk/reward option and see if you hit the jackpot. Jeff Overton? Charles Howell III? Chris Kirk? David Toms? Harris English? and the list goes on.

I keep wanting to hold onto CH3 for the Sony Open. If I become convinced that JMac's theory of ball-striking and length being a premium is the way to go, I may lean towards CH3 or English. If they're playing in a bubble, then I might take my chances with Toms, Overton or Kirk.

All of this to say, I'm not sure which way I'm leaning at this point. I will have it figured out by this time tomorrow, one way or another.


No comments:

Post a Comment