I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Farmers Insurance Open - One-and-done

About the only thing left to finish off our Farmers Insurance Open prep is the one-and-done. What became very obvious to me early in the process, is that the guys on the short list for the Farmers will also be on the short list for each of the next three tournaments (Waste Management Phoenix Open, AT&T Pebble Beach and Northern Trust Open). While the players are somewhat interchangeable, I've roughly mapped out my next four OADs.

As I said earlier, the first question to deal with this week is Tiger. I gave him a very hard look, but decided to hold off. If I want to put him on a course he dominates later in the year, there’s always Bay Hill. Or Firestone CC. Or, maybe even Augusta National.

This week is reserved for the other big name. I’m taking Phil Mickelson as my OAD. His history at Torrey Pines is second only to Tiger. He’s entering off a T2 in Abu Dhabi. He’s found a new toy (driver) to play with and keep him interested. He always seems to win somewhere on the West Coast Swing, and he’s sort of due for a win here.

The biggest reason I didn't take Snedeker was because I’d like to put him on a little better trend in terms of form. My guess is that he still manages a top 10 this week, and if he does I’ll likely slot him in at the WMPO.

I held off Jimmy Walker because I’m not comfortable with his Tiger Woods pairing in the first two rounds. I don’t know how he’ll react. The idea is likely to burn him at Pebble Beach. That gives him a little time to come down from his win at Sony and is on a course where he boasts a great history.

Making a late charge was Bill Haas, but I see Riviera as the perfect target spot to burn him given his recent history. That said, if I hadn't chosen Mickelson, I probably would have taken Billy.

Mind you, I’m not committing to anything past Phil this week. If Snedeker wins or ties for 50th this week, I’ll absolutely reconsider him for the WMPO. If Haas posts a top 10 this week and Snedeker struggles, maybe Haas is the play in the desert. I could always go with Walker at Riviera. You get the picture.

*********************************************************************************

One final piece of housekeeping…I will have an irregular schedule next week and will be pre-writing some of my articles and scheduling them to post around the time they normally do on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I will do the majority of my WMPO research before the Farmers Insurance Open concludes. I will indicate in the top portion of the article if it was pre-written and also indicate if I've gone in and updated something after a post is published.

My guess is that the Preview and Power Rankings will be pre-written, and then a shorter-than-usual fantasy post for Yahoo! gamers will be published Tuesday after I've had a chance to glance at tee times, followed by a very brief OAD post on Wednesday. That’s also why I've gone into so much OAD detail this week, as many of the same cast will be considered next week.

So, if I have Brandt Snedeker in a power ranking that publishes at 7pm ET on Monday night and he W/D at 4:30, that’s why.

I’ll do my best on emails and will be active on Twitter.

For next week especially, I strongly encourage you to also check out my Rotoworld colleagues' work on their various platforms. As always, Glass will have his preview up at Rotoworld sometime on Tuesday. Rob will have his articles at their normal times throughout the week on PGATOUR.com. There’s also the Rotoworld chat on Wednesday at noon that Rob and Glass will co-host for last minute questions. Check Ned out on Twitter, as well as yahoo.com for his picks (all of our Twitter handles are on the Rotoworld.com golf site).  


Best of luck to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment