We'll spend the majority of our time on Yahoo!, where I want to point out one thing worth watching that tends to only pop up this time of year. That is, this tournament is played on three different courses. Familiarization with which courses play the easiest is, at the very least, notable in terms of the Yahoo! format.
In 2013, the scoring averages were as follows:
- La Quinta CC - 69.487
- PGA West (Palmer) - 68.924
- PGA West (Nicklaus) - 68.00
While the difference in scoring average between La Quinta and Palmer are negligible, there is a distinct advantage to those playing the Nicklaus course. In a situation like this, I like to spread my options as equally as possible across the course rotation.
Here is my lineup, as well as first round starters:
- A-List - Starting Charles Howell III, with Gary Woodland on the bench.
- B-List - Starting Jason Kokrak and Billy Horschel, with Robert Garrigus and Webb Simpson on the bench.
- C-List - Starting Ryan Palmer, with Harris English on the bench. English is only on the bench because he plays La Quinta in round one.
For those that play the Golf Channel game, check out my picks and all of the Rotoworld staffers in Mike's weekly article http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/gol/45997/297/free-fallin.
I'm still weighing one-and-done options, and will return tomorrow with a final call in that format. Harris English, Billy Horschel, Robert Garrigus and Gary Woodland all occupy the short list at this time.
Until then, best of luck to all!