I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hyundai Tournament of Champions - Fantasy

Before we dive into the fantasy games of the Hyundai Tournament of Champions, I'd like to wish everyone a safe and happy 2014! Hopefully 2013 was a good one for you and the coming year will be even better.

Now for the games.

Yahoo!

We start with a clean slate, as the fantasy giant decided to sit out the fall of 2013 and begin fresh with 2014. With this week being a 30-man limited-field event and with Yahoo! allowing you eight slots for players, it's critical to identify the winner and those inside the top three this week for bonus points. From a strategic standpoint, it may make sense not to switch up your roster between the first and second rounds since their shouldn't be a tee time advantage. In essence, don't burn someone you don't have to. Here we go:

  • A-List - Starting Adam Scott and sitting Matt Kuchar on the bench. I will only play Kuchar if I feel he will earn bonus points with a top-three finish, but I can't risk not having him available on the bench.
  • B-List - Starting Dustin Johnson and Chris Kirk, with Webb Simpson and Jason Dufner on the bench. Same deal as the A-List, my hope is to ride DJ and Kirk without needing to burn Simpson or Dufner.
  • C-List - At the moment, I have Harris English starting with Jimmy Walker on the bench, but this could flip before the tournament. I'm a little less concerned with starts between these two.

Golf Channel

As always, check out my Golf Channel picks in Glass' weekly Rotoworld article http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/gol/45880/297/paradise-found

One-and-done

This will be a highly strategic week for the OAD format. Because there are only 30 in the field, returns are somewhat relative. Do you save a start for guys like Scott and DJ and take chance on Martin Laird knowing he has to finish no worse than 30th, or do you roll the dice with a big dog? If you go the route of Scott or DJ, you really need them to produce a top-3 or top-5 finish. Otherwise, you may have done just as well over the long term by burning a lesser player and getting a top-15. 

If I had to make a choice today (which I don't), I would probably go DJ. That said, I haven't ruled out Scott, Laird or even another out-of-the box idea. 

Hopefully this gets your gears in motion and I hope your Yahoo! season gets off to a solid start, and your OAD continues to go well. 

We'll be back tomorrow with final thoughts and a final OAD pick.

Until then, best of luck to all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment