I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sony Open - One-and-done

Putting a bow on our prep work for the Sony Open, here is a look at the one-and-done and an update on the Yahoo! format roster.

In Yahoo!, the names and faces on the team stay the same, but I have adjusted some of the players to ensure three AM tee times for the first round. CH3, Z Johnson, Kirk and English start with Kuchar, Dufner, Spieth and Clark on the bench. In all likelihood, Clark and Spieth sub in for English and Kirk in round two with a possibility of a Kuchar for CH3 swap as well.

As for the one-and-done, there are several schools of thought in play. I essentially would have narrowed my list to Charles Howell III, Tim Clark, Zach Johnson and Jordan Spieth…maybe Matt Kuchar. I say “would have” because I’ve already used Clark at Mayakoba. With him out, there’s a choice to make, and it involves saving or using starts.

I’m using Charles Howell III this week because he is, first and foremost, an excellent option with seven top fives in this tournament, but also because there isn’t an obvious spot to use him the rest of the way. Spieth has me tempted because of his stats and form, but I’m laying off since he’s never seen the course. I can’t stress enough how close I came to pulling the trigger on the kid.

As for ZJ, two things. First, it’s extremely hard to win in back-to-back weeks. He might be able to do it, and I do like him for a top 10. For some players, a top 10 would be worth it. BUT. He’s an excellent play for Colonial and a really good play for THE PLAYERS and the John Deere Classic. I’m holding off.

Similar case with Kuchar. Having back-to-back top 5s in his last two starts here, he’s easy to endorse for a top 10. That said, I’m holding off and saving him for a rainy day.

This event has also turned into a little bit of a shootout, with recent winners including stable players like Mark Wilson, Johnson Wagner and Harris English, but not including some of the bigger stars on TOUR like it did 10 years ago. That’s another reason to use a really good player (CH3), but not an elite one (ZJ, Kooch).


Best of luck this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment