I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Honda Classic - One-and-done

The one-and-done selection for The Honda Classic was always a very short list in my mind. It came down to Graeme McDowell and Charl Schwartzel.

On paper, both seem very solid prospects for a top 10 and both have the chops to compete in this loaded field. The difference in the two is seemingly tiny from every angle, so my tie breaker was future course fit.

I'm taking Charl Schwartzel, In 2013, he recorded five top 10s, but two of those came in his first three starts. The first was at Riviera, where he tied for third and he then tied for ninth at The Honda Classic a week after a first-round loss at the Match Play. Similarly, he finished fifth at Riviera this year and lost in the second round of the Match Play this time around.

Don't take that to mean I don't love G-Mac this week as well. I've invested in him in other formats. I tend to think I won't have any trouble finding a spot for him a little later on.

Other players I gave a second look at were Sergio Garcia and Keegan Bradley. I love Garcia's form, but his course history was slightly below average. As for Bradley, he's a play at the WGC-Bridgestone or the PGA.

Best of luck this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment