I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Valspar Championship - Fantasy

As the Valspar Championship blows into Innisbrook Resort, it's time to make our weekly fantasy selections. While this course is a little more protected from the Florida wind by trees, wind will be a factor. The first round should be a little on the chilly side, with winds gusting up to 30 MPH. 

Yahoo!

After another nice week at Doral, our Yahoo! point total has increased to 1,567, ranking 879th and in the 98th percentile. 

Anytime I see cool temperatures and wind, I like to have my options covered in AM/PM tee times in the Yahoo! format. It required a little more maneuvering than I would have liked in the B and C Lists, but it could prove worth the sacrifice. 

I will check the weather closely Wednesday afternoon to ensure that I have put my best guess as to the advantageous tee times, but here is my current lineup. (I will tweet out any changes @RyanGolfBlogger.)
  • A-List - Luke Donald starting with Matt Kuchar on the bench.
  • B-List - Jordan Spieth and Graham DeLaet starting with Webb Simpson and Jim Furyk on the bench.
  • C-List - Harris English starting with Pat Perez on the bench.
The four starters are all in the Thursday AM wave. The only way I see that changing is if the hourly forecast calls for equally strong winds all day with significantly cooler temperatures in the AM, or stronger wind in the AM than in the PM. 

Golf Channel game:

As always, check out Mike's weekly Rotoworld article for all of our staff picks. I believe Ned now ranks inside the top 30 for the entire Golf Channel game, which is just ridiculously good. While I'm in second, I'd need Ned to take a few weeks off to catch him. 

Most weeks, the four of us generally offer a consensus with our picks. If not, we are often split two and two. This week we are absolutely all over the place, with the exception of Harris English in Group 2, which reinforces to me that this tournament doesn't have many true favorites.

Check back tomorrow for our one-and-done pick. I still don't have it narrowed down any further than a top five. 

Best of luck to all!

2 comments:

  1. Accuweather Pro says the winds will be lighter in the afternoon Thursday. AM, until around noon, will be 16 gusting to 21, PM 12, gusting to 17. Not a big difference, but depends on the players involved.

    Good luck! I'm 3 Yahoo points ahead of you, so we're both doing fine this year. I'm one of the "Experts" on HopeJoyGolf, look it up!
    XTRALONGTEES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, congrats on your success!

      I'm noticing the same thing on the weather. It should get a tad warmer in the afternoon, which would help as well. I very well may lean heavily on the PM/AM wave and could potentially make some changes to my team. If I do, I will include those on my post tonight around 9pm ET.

      Best of luck this week!

      Delete