I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Masters - One-and-done

In 48 hours, the 18-hole leader of the Masters will have been identified. While the top name on Thursday evening is of little consequence, it is time to do our best to uncover the correct one-and-done pick.

When I compared my OAD options to my power rankings, I found four players in my top 11 that are still available to me. Those are Bubba Watson, Matt Kuchar, Zach Johnson and Jason Day. As I mentioned yesterday, Bubba moved to the top of my list for Augusta National when he tied for second at Doral (strong correlation between Doral success and Masters success in the same year), but his WD at Bay Hill due to allergies is a minor concern. I love Kuchar's stability, but I don't like how much time he's spent in contention the last two weeks. I'm saving ZJ for THE PLAYERS, Colonial or John Deere, so he's out. Then there's Jason Day, who hasn't played competitively since his win at the WGC-Accenture Match Play.

In my mind, this one comes down to Watson and Day. Maybe that wouldn't be the case if I had guys like McIlroy and Mickelson and Garcia available, but it is what it is.

My hesitation with Watson is that he would be a great burn for the Travelers Championship, but I'm not sure that is enough of a reason to hold him out. The Day question mark (thumb) seems to carry a little more weight.

For that reason, I'm taking Bubba Watson over Jason Day.

For Yahoo! and Golf Channel lineups, I encourage you to check out our weekly Rotoworld article http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/gol/46825/393/our-picks-the-78th-masters for my picks, as well as Mike's, Ned's and Rob's.

Best of luck to all!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks again for all the info! Am I absolutely crazy if I want to take Matsuyama this week in one and done, saving the chalk for tournaments that are later in the season when my competition may have already spent them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like him this week, but I'm not sure if a move like that would be my taste unless I'm chasing big and trying to play the game backwards. All depends on where you are in the standings. If you are bottom third, then go for it. If you are top third, go chalky. Best of luck!

      Delete
    2. Good advice. Too bad I didn't see it until just now. I am in the top third...was in the top third that is.

      Delete