The setting is the familiar track of Harbour Town Golf Links, which will play to a par of 71 and likely stretch out to a mere 7,101 yards. It's as tight of a course as can be found on the PGA TOUR, with tiny greens and an ocean breeze.
Typically, there are two types of winners at Harbour Town. Those that are excellent scramblers and putters, and those that are elite ball-strikers with a penchant for hitting it close. Here's the list dating back to 2005:
- 2005 - Peter Lonard (277) over Billy Andrade, Darren Clarke, Jim Furyk and Davis Love III (279).
- 2006 - Aaron Baddeley (269) over Jim Furyk (270)
- 2007 - Boo Weekley (270) over Ernie Els (271)
- 2008 - Boo Weekley (269) over Aaron Baddeley and Anthony Kim (272)
- 2009 - Brian Gay (264) over Luke Donald and Briny Baird (274)
- 2010 - Jim Furyk (271) over Brian Davis (271 Playoff)
- 2011 - Brandt Snedeker (272) over Luke Donald (272 Playoff)
- 2012 - Carl Pettersson (270) over Zach Johnson (275)
- 2013 - Graeme McDowell (275) over Webb Simpson (275 Playoff)
Statistics that are relevant this week are driving accuracy, SGP, Scrambling, Proximity, Par 4 Scoring Average. As demonstrated by the multiple times names are repeated in the list above, course history matters. For those that haven't been to this tournament, it's a very laid back venue with a party atmosphere immediately off the course. Some guys thrive in that loose setting. The wind also can be a factor, as can tee time waves.
We will return tomorrow with a look at our Power Ranking for this week. Until then, best of luck to all!