I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Wells Fargo Championship - One-and-done

As the Wells Fargo Championship inches closer, it's time to hammer down our one-and-done. Since the Bubba Watson win at the Masters, we've been on an 0-for-2 run, missing the cut in Hilton Head with Kevin Na and again with Rickie Fowler in New Orleans. We'll try and do better this week!

I found myself quickly narrowing my focus to Lee Westwood and Jim Furyk.

As I mentioned yesterday in the Power Ranking, Westy kind of scares me because of how perfect he's trending in both course history and current form. His best two PGA TOUR finishes of 2014 were his last two, tying for 17th in Houston and finishing alone in seventh at the Masters (also winning in Malaysia last week). He also went T5 and T4 in his last two trips to Quail Hollow. In fact, every trip has been an improvement at Quail, going MC, T61, T38, T5 and T4 in that order. BUT. He barely made the cut in 2012, then had a hot weekend to steal a backdoor top five. He then tied for fourth on horrible greens that equalized putting.

Furyk has been a steady hand at the wheel all year, making each of his eight cuts and amassing six top 25s and three top 10s in the process. Two of those top 10s have fallen in his last three starts, with a T14 at the Masters interrupting a T6 at the Valero Texas Open and a T7 at Harbour Town. After missing the cut in his first trip to Quail Hollow back in 2003, he's made seven of his eight cuts including a win and a T2. His most recent returns were a T7 in 2010, and T24 in 2011 and a T26 in 2012.

I've made, at least in my mind, a strong case for both of these players. That means my pick comes down to personal preference. My gut tells me that Westwood could flame out much like Fowler did last week in NOLA, while Furyk is going to make the cut, probably going to score a top 25 and will very likely be in the mix for a top 10. Considering I'm trying to stop the bleeding from back-to-back missed cuts, I want Furyk.

As always, check in on my Golf Channel and Yahoo! lineups in Glass' weekly Rotoworld article at rotoworld.com.

3 comments:

  1. So close on Furyk! Great call on Holmes though. Picked him up after reading through power rankings and made some good money over the weekend. Appreciate the help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete