I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Tournament - One-and-done

For the Memorial Tournament one-and-done, I quickly came to realize that many of the options I would prefer to have at my disposal are unavailable. Of yesterday's top 12, only three are still in play. They are Jordan Spieth, Brendon Todd and Bill Haas.

While Todd makes sense in some formats this week, OAD isn't one of them. His T5 at Colonial last week following his breakthrough win was a mild surprise, as he avoided a hangover. Still, he can't ride this wave forever. While he makes plenty of sense as a Yahoo! play alongside Charl Schwartzel, a hangover this week is absolutely in play.

Jordan Spieth almost got the call, and likely would have if not for a combination of a T63 here in his only start and a relatively poor performance in the Presidents Cup at Muirfield Village last year. It would be easy to write the Presidents Cup off as nerves were it not for the T63 and his performance in his first Masters. It would also be easy to write off his T63 without the follow up at Muirfield Village in the PC. Laying two eggs has me questioning if this course fits his eye. I'll pass.

And then there's Bill Haas. He has wins at Congressional and Riviera CC, showing he can play difficult courses and top-tier PGA TOUR events. His T21 last week came without any real fanfare, so he should be flying under the radar relative to some of the star power in the field. His T4 last year in this event is nice, but not the biggest factor. If not here, then where? I'm taking Haas.

Check out Rotoworld.com http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/gol/47304/393/our-picks-memorial for my Yahoo! and Golf Channel picks, as well as those of Bolton, Glass and Ned.

I will return tomorrow to wrap up first-round starters and address any other looming issues. Until then, best of luck to all!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Aficianado, would it be possible for you to give the best OAD pick for the week assuming the full field is available. Some of us are in two and dones and some of us have not used your pick each week so have other players available. Following your own picks for the full year, while slightly entertaining, is not very helpful for our own games, Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cougly,
      Thanks for the comment. As to your question, I would refer you to my power rankings. The answer this week would be Justin Rose. If starts aren't an issue, then I would almost always start the guy who ranked first in my power rankings.
      I see your point about following my own game, but I would counter by saying that a number of readers have commented that they like to see my thought process played out on paper. Since I generally cover around three players as I publicly narrow down, there are plenty of weeks where some/all of the guys are in play for numerous gamers.
      I also respond to emails (thegolfaficionado@gmail.com) or Tweets (@RyanGolfBlogger) with specific lineup questions.
      Thanks, and best of luck!
      Ryan

      Delete