I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

FedEx St. Jude Classic - One-and-done

Before I get too far into the FedEx St. Jude Classic one-and-done, I want to acknowledge that we have reached the point in the season to where the players I have at my disposal could be very different than what you have and the other way around. I'm happy to chime in my two cents on your specific situation via Twitter (@RyanGolfBlogger), email (thegolfaficionado@gmail.com) or the comment section in this post.

A big reason why I put out a power ranking every week is to give everyone my generic take on who I like versus someone else as of Monday night. I don't have Ryan Palmer available, but many of you may. So, if you are curious as to my take on Ryan Palmer versus David Hearn, there is a large enough discrepancy between where they stand in my power ranking to where you can safely assume how I would answer that. If you are trying to decide between Palmer in first and D. Johnson in second, various factors make that much more debatable.

I narrowed my focus this week to Paul Casey and Lee Westwood. It just so happens that they were the third and fourth ranked players in my power ranking and the best two I have available.

Casey is playing some really good golf, leading after 36 holes last week and qualifying for the U.S. Open on Monday, but has never seen TPC Southwind. Westwood has a pair of top 10s in his last three PGA TOUR starts, with a win and a T35 mixed in overseas in that span. He's also recorded a win and a T11 in his two trips to Memphis.

Because their current form is so similar and Westwood has the edge on history, I found myself leaning towards Westwood. When I dug deeper, I found that Westwood's Masters finishes in 2010 and 2011  very closely mirrored his FedEx St. Jude Classic results. In 2010, Westwood was the runner-up at the Masters and won in Memphis. In 2011, he tied for 11th in both the Masters and St. Jude. This year, he was T7 at Augusta National, so I like his chances for another top 10 this week. I'm rolling with Westy.

Check out Rotoworld.com for all of our Yahoo! and Golf Channel picks on Playing the Tips. I will announce Yahoo! starters tomorrow night.

Best of luck to all!

1 comment:

  1. What about Robert Allenby for One and Done..... Played every year since 07' no finish worse then 13th place? Small purse no need to waste big name is my thoughts?

    ReplyDelete