I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

John Deere Classic - One and Done

The John Deere Classic one-and-done offers an interesting array of options. There is little doubt that many of you have saved Steve Stricker and/or Zach Johnson for this event, and who could blame you. While I don't have either of those kings of TPC Deere Run available, we'll start there.

In terms of course history, both Stricker and ZJ are elite. While ZJ has been a tad better over the last three years, Stricker is just two years removed from back-to-back-to-back wins. If I had both available, Stricker would get my pick due to current form.

For those that followed my lead with ZJ at THE PLAYERS and Stricker at the U.S. Open, I see three viable options. Jordan Spieth, Ryan Moore and Billy Hurley III.

I believe I'm correct in saying that Spieth is the highest-ranked player in the field and the highest-ranked player in the Official World Golf Ranking in the field this week. The only slight concern is that Spieth has failed to live up to lofty expectations at several other stops where his past history is good. While I'm very tempted to roll with Spieth, the pot is relatively low this week and I have my eye on him for the PGA Championship and several playoff events including the TOUR Championship.

Ryan Moore is an interesting option. He tied for 22nd here last year after a T8 in 2012 and tied for fifth in his last PGA TOUR event at the Travelers Championship. He has the pedigree to stand up to a Stricker or ZJ down the stretch and looks to be a nice alternative for those that don't have one of the elite at their disposal.

Billy Hurley III meets the criteria of both current form (T8 and T4 in his last two starts) as well as course history (T8 in '12). It remains to be seen how he bounces back from blowing the 54-hole lead at The Greenbrier Classic, but he remains another great option.

I'm rolling with Ryan Moore this week, although if I had Stricker or ZJ at my disposal I would probably go in that direction.

Best of luck to all this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment