I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Deutsche Bank Championship - One-and-done

Let's hope the Deutsche Bank Championship goes better than The Barclays. It wasn't that Paul Casey's T22 was all that bad, rather it was the opportunity cost. As mentioned in the article last week, I was down to Casey and Hunter Mahan. Obviously I chose incorrectly.

That puts Mahan back in play as an option this week.

If my goal was a top-25 finish, or even a top 15, I'd probably ride Mahan and hope he has enough left in the tank to check that box. Other options in play include Patrick Reed and Jordan Spieth.

After missing out on all of Spieth's top-10 finishes earlier this year, I had penciled him in for East Lake (TOUR Championship). He tied for second there a year ago and seemed a very likely candidate to make it back in 2014.

Reed is a wild card. Though he didn't play well at TPC Boston last year (T70), he is known for making bunches of birdies.

I'm playing for a win or a top five this week, and I've landed on Jordan Spieth. His final-round 67 at Ridgewood CC last week was his first sub-70 round since the third round of The Open Championship, so perhaps he snapping out of a mini-slump. The final nail in the coffin was his T4 in this event last year.

As well as Mahan is playing, the odds are against him scoring a top five this week. That means I've slotted him in for East Lake, where he nearly beat Bill Haas in a playoff in 2011.

So, let's go Spieth!

Since the tournament doesn't start until Friday, we will be back Thursday to tab the Yahoo! starters and take a look at the O v. Glass.

Until then, best of luck to all!

2 comments:

  1. "His final-round 67 at TPC Boston last week" => you mean his final-round 67 at Ridgewood CC last week I think ;-)

    ReplyDelete