I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

PGA Championship - One-and-done

This is the time of year where one-and-done picks can become quite simple, due to lack of options, and that is the case at the PGA Championship this week. 

I'm under no illusions that many/any of you are following my advice to the letter for the OAD game, but if for some reason you have on many occasions, you might be facing a similar circumstance. That is, I had exactly one player in the my top 16 available.

Coming in at number six in my Power Ranking and making his way into my OAD lineup is Marc Leishman. 

It's this time of the year where my strategy of very rarely "saving" a player for a start is becoming a bit uncomfortable. My hope was that I would still always have a viable OAD option as hot players emerged, and that was the case with Leishman this week. Barely. 

That strategy is also why I'm currently in the money in my OAD game, but I'm definitely trying to just hold on. 

If you are one of those guys that have saved a Keegan Bradley or Rory McIlroy for a time such as this, please do yourself a favor and burn them without hesitation. Give guys like me something to sweat about. 

I've gathered an undercurrent about the ability, or lack thereof, of Rory McIlroy to win three consecutive golf tournaments (he didn't play the RBC Canadian Open). If you find yourself asking that question; stop it. For all of the world, it looks like the ability to bomb it and find the fairways off the tee will be big this week. Hmmmmm. Congressional in 2011. Kiawah Island in '12. Hoylake three weeks ago. WGC-Bridgestone last week. 

There isn't a player in the game that can dominate a course off the tee the way Rory can. Not DJ. Not Bubba. Not Phil. Tiger used to be able to, but that ended almost a decade ago. 

It's certainly possible that Rory won't win this week, but if he doesn't win it will be because he didn't bring his A-game and he let someone else win it. Rory is the only player in the world today that will always win with his A-game. If he brings the A-game to Valhalla, it's over. Adam Scott can't beat him. Sergio can't beat him. Phil and Tiger can't beat him. And Rory probably wins with his B-plus game unless someone else goes Martin Kaymer at Pinehurst on him. 

Rory absolutely can win three consecutive starts because he's cut from the cloth of some of the greatest of all time. No offense to these great players, but he's not Graeme McDowell or Justin Rose or Keegan Bradley. His name is in the same modern category as Woods and Mickelson, and that's it. 

I will return tomorrow to solidify Yahoo! starters and will do my best to pull back ahead of Glass in the O v. Glass Challenge.

Until then, best of luck to all!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks again for your advice Ryan. I hope you have a big week buddy. One last question assuming rory wins this week at the pga do you think there's any chance he may decide to forgo the remaining fed x tourneys and just concentrate on preparations for the Ryder cup? I heard somewhere Sergio Garcia was gonna skip some tourney to focus on the Ryder cup. If there was a chance rory would skip the fed x tourneys to concentrate on the Ryder cup then it would make my decision to insert my last rory start right away starting thurs that much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No clue. I wouldn't be surprised if he skipped one of them, but I kind of doubt Rory sits out the whole thing.

      Delete
  2. Phil I would say you won't find a better week to play the Rory start. His form is unbelieveable and course and conditions look perfect for him. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keegan Bradley?! What has he done lately?! Im more tempted to go with Jordan Speith(which I currently am) or perhaps Sergio, if above rumors about him are true. but not Keegan. He blew this tourney for m last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're kidding, right? Keegan is much hotter than Spieth right now. Last year was last year. Don't let it beat you this time around!

      Delete
  4. Obviously his form is the in the best it's ever been but the deutsche bank tpc boston is also a perfect setup for him. Tough decisions to make. Wish I had saved a few more rory starts earlier in the season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got Leishman and Fowler left so I'm planning on going Fowler. Going to be tough for him to have four T5 finishes in majors though. That said, I'm currently sitting 1st in a 117-person OAD league so I can't afford to get cute and gamble on Leishman's hot streak.

    ReplyDelete