I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Wyndham Championship - One-and-done

The Wyndham Championship one-and-done features few blue-chip prospects and gives gamers several angels from which to play. If you have Brandt Snedeker or Webb Simpson, this would be a great time to plug them in and go with the chalk. If not, this is a good week to have a little fun and roll the dice (within reason).

I'd like to take this opportunity to address a player that was not in my Power Ranking yesterday to explain the omission, since I've received numerous questions, because I think it applies to a OAD. I did not include Ernie Els fresh off his T7 at the PGA Championship. While he is playing reasonably well, with a T12 in Canada and a T26 at Firestone CC, I'm not ready to buy just yet. Why? Since winning the 2012 Open Championship, he has not recorded a top-10 finish in an event on the PGA TOUR that wasn't a major or WGC. That tells me that he can still get up for the big events, but struggles to peak for the lesser events. Perhaps he proves me wrong this week, but that's the reasoning.

While I've had five top 10s since correctly plugging Bubba Watson into the lineup at Augusta National, only one of those have come over the course of the last five tournaments (T9 w/ GMac at RBC Canada). Because of this dry spell, I've slipped from safely inside the money to the outside looking in over the last few weeks. I'm ready to have some fun and take a bit of a risk, so I'm playing Brooks Koepka.

Koepka tied for 15th last week at the PGA and also tied for fourth at the U.S. Open in Pinehurst, NC, back in June. He offers some of the same lure of a Patrick Reed and a Jordan Spieth (who finished 1 and P2 last year), in that he is a rising star who has essentially played his way onto the PGA TOUR without any status. He has already done enough heavy lifting for a 2014-15 PGA TOUR card, and should be free to go chase a win this week.

We will return tomorrow with the Yahoo! starters and this week's O v. Glass Challenge.

Best of luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment