I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Frys.com Open - One and done

Strategy is the key to any one-and-done game, and that begins with selecting the right player for the Frys.com Open.

While I'm not a big believer in "saving" players for later if the right time to use a guy presents itself, this is a week to ease into the season. There is some temptation to take a Matt Kuchar, Jimmy Walker or maybe even a Brandt Snedeker since the field lacks strength at the top, but it's probably best to restrain yourself. It's a better move to burn a start on a top-tier player when there is more in the way of current form and course history to go on.

Though I could endorse quite a few players this week, I narrowed my focus to two guys coming off top-10 finishes in the Alfred Dunhill Championship last week. Namely, Brooks Koepka and Richard Sterne. Both of those options have scored other top 10s in recent weeks across the globe, so their play over in Scotland wasn't a fluke.

It may sound a bit crazy, but I'm going with Sterne over Koepka just because Koepka is beginning to become a popular play this week. He tied for third in this event last year, although it was at a different venue, and is quickly becoming a trendy player. That's a lot of expectations for a player who has never won on the PGA TOUR.

I'll take my chances with Sterne, who is quietly lurking in the shadows. Plus, I doubt I'll be dying to burn him later in the year. A top-25 finish would be an acceptable result this week, and a top 10 would be outstanding. Either way, we'll have much more to go on at TPC Summerlin next week!

Best of luck to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment