I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

OHL Classic at Mayakoba - One-and-done

While it's about 12 hours later than expected, here is the OHL Classic at Mayakoba one-and-done edition.

Diving right in, I quickly narrowed the OAD options down to two. They are Robert Streb and Rory Sabbatini.

I eliminated Jason Bohn (2nd in my power ranking) because it just feels like there is too much pressure on him coming off a T2 last week given his course history here. He hasn't proven to be the type of elite player to take success and run with it for a long period of time.

I'm not big on burning defending champions (Harris English), and English isn't playing all that well or consistently right now anyway. He has just one top 10 since the WGC-Accenture Match Play in February.

I like Spencer Levin and Charles Howell III this week, but they weren't my brand of bourbon. Traditionally, I hold off on CH3 for the Sony Open and he almost always rewards me. Levin's been off for a few weeks, but he does have the course history and somewhat recent form that is worth some excitement.

It's not a secret that I love Robert Streb. I've drooled over his par-4 scoring average numbers for weeks and we've watched him finished inside the top 18 in six of his last eight PGA TOUR events dating back to last season. There is no guarantee that he can keep this up after the holiday break, so there is certainly a strong argument to be made for burning his OAD this week. There are two knocks. The first is that he's never played this event, and the second is that he could be headed the wrong way on his trend. And yes, the second is nitpicking.

As for Rory Sabbatini, the trend is undeniable. He went MC (Shriners), T22 (McGladrey) and T8 (CIMB) leading into this event. The CIMB Classic is played on paspalum greens, as is the OHL Classic. Sabo has played this event on three occasions and twice cracked the top five.

I'm plugging in Sabbatini and hoping it doesn't burn me. Full disclosure, I'm pretty well hedged with Streb in a full-season league, so I reap benefits if he plays well either way.

Best of luck!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for some other informative web site. The place else may I get that type of information written in such a perfect means?
    I have a challenge that I am simply now operating on, and I have been at the glance out for such information.
    Look at my website can get them http://www.usd-buy.net/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My draft is in a couple weeks. Do you publish a 2015 fantasy golf preview and/or rankings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt,
      I will have my updated top 125 publish at Rotoworld.com on December 24th. If you draft is before that, feel free to drop me an email at thegolfaficionado@gmail.com and I'll be glad to try and help.

      Delete