Similar to many Jack Nicklaus signature designs, Muirfield Village is long, fairly forgiving off the tee, and features pretty large green complexes. It is known to have some of the most difficult greenside bunkers on TOUR to master. Knowing that, it's little surprise that this course has been one of Tiger Woods' personal playgrounds over the years.
Muifield Village played to a par of 72 at 7,392 yards last season, and I would expect it to be about the same this time around. It featured the full bevy of four par 5s, four par 3s and ten par 4s. The par 5s offer legitimate birdie opportunities and are the key to success.
Here is a list of winners and runners-up since 2005.
- 2005: Winner - Bart Bryant (16-under 272) over Fred Couples (273)
- 2006: Winner - Carl Pettersson (276) over Zach Johnson and Brett Wetterich (278)
- 2007: Winner - K.J. Choi (271) over Ryan Moore (272)
- 2008: Winner - Kenny Perry (280) over Mathew Goggin, Jerry Kelly, Justin Rose and Mike Weir (282)
- 2009: Winner - Tiger Woods (276) over Jim Furyk (277)
- 2010: Winner - Justin Rose (270) over Rickie Fowler (273)
- 2011: Winner - Steve Stricker (272) over Brandt Jobe and Matt Kuchar (273)
- 2012: Winner - Tiger Woods (279) over Andres Romero and Rory Sabbatini (281)
- 2013: Winner - Matt Kuchar (276) over Kevin Chappell (278)
- 2014: Winner - Hideki Matsuyama (275) over Kevin Na in a playoff
We will dig into the stats, as well as the current form and course history of the field and spit out a power ranking a little later in the week. Until then, happy research!