This preview will be a little shorter and little less sweet than most, as there is no course history to explore. The past winners and runners-up in this event are largely irrelevant.
Here's what we do know.
- The Robert Trent Jones Golf Club is a par-71 layout of 7,385 yards. As you would expect of a par 71, it features three par 5s and four par 3s.
- The fairways and greens are Bentgrass, so it's worth overlooking Bermuda specialists and focusing on guys with solid history on Bent.
- Four of the par 4s are over 470 yards, so driving distance could certainly matter this week.
- A former TOUR player and friend of mine who's spent a substantial amount of time training at that club over his professional career indicated to me that the greens have a large amount of undulation, and that being on the incorrect level of certain greens is a big problem. That would indicate that proximity could come into play.
So, what's the plan this week?
- Stick to the big stats this week. Par 4 scoring average, SG:TTG and Proximity come to mind.
- Class and form matter. A classy player with a top 10 in the last few weeks should be of interest.
- For gamers in formats like Yahoo!, stick with the chalk when starts allow. Oddly enough, for punters the advice is probably the opposite. Roll the dice on the correct prices and ignore the favorites.
We will return with a power ranking later this week. Until then, happy research!