I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

U.S. Open - One-and-Done

Hold on tight, as it's time for the U.S. Open at Oakmont Country Club. In terms of the one-and-done, this is one of those weeks to take a hard look at the top. Oakmont has historically delivered well-pedigreed champions who have won, or go on to win, multiple majors.

I zeroed in on two thoroughbreds. Jason Day and Rory McIlroy. Full disclosure, I don't have Jordan Spieth available, but I wouldn't have played him anyway.

Picking between Day and McIlroy is a virtual coin flip, but there are a few key differences as it relates to a OAD.

I'm picking McIlroy, and here's why.

  • If his driver is on, and I get that's an "if", he can eliminate 95% of the field off the tee. It's how he won the 2011 U.S. Open at Congressional and how he won the PGA Championship at Kiawah. 
  • Oakmont is not all that different, in some respects, to both of those venues. 
  • His high ball-flight should play well.
  • With a chance of thunderstorms Thursday afternoon, I like Rory's AM/PM draw better than Day's PM/AM. It's a small thing, but it could protect Rory from a starting/stopping routine on Thursday that Day could face. 
Typically, I would rather play McIlroy in a scenario where he was coming off a win and playing the next week. I still feel his form is good enough, so I'm not going to sweat it.

Let's go, Rory!

No comments:

Post a Comment