I can also be found at Rotoworld.com and on Twitter @RyanGolfBlogger.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play

The WGC-Dell Match Play is set to kick off in Austin, Texas. For one-and-done gamers, this week is always a bit tricky.


The introduction of pool play prevents the bow out after one round, and allows a player a chance to come back from a loss to still advance to the 16-man bracket. Given the fickle nature of match play in general, I've usually used this as an opportunity to take a flier on a non-member of the PGA TOUR. In fact, if I hadn't already played Tyrell Hatton in Mexico a few weeks ago, I would be tempted to lean on him.


I would also be tempted to cast a vote Patrick Reed's way, but he's off the board from Kapalua.


After giving the brackets a look, and understanding potential matchups, I've decided to roll the dice with Phil Mickelson. He's getting to the point in his career where he's not a no-brainer play anywhere, but he also offers quite a bit of upside many places. He won a couple of matches here last year, so he offers the possibility of a big week.


While I might like a Dustin Johnson or Jason Day's chances to win a little more, I tend to shy away from elite OAD options in match play because they could run into a buzz saw one day and be out. In stroke play, they have four days to separate themselves instead of 18 holes or less.


Whatever your strategy, best of luck to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment